There are currently more than 150 NSS volunteers active in the Newcastle and the Hunter region. However, due to some volunteer withdrawals for 2008, there are places which we need to fill with new or re-starting volunteers.
Here is the list of our current volunteering needs - please contact me if you (or someone you know) can assist:
* Volunteers In Schools Program (VISP) – Volunteers needed to sit alongside refugee students in the classroom to assist them understanding the lessons, for both Primary and High Schools.
Place: Public schools in all suburbs.
* Homework Centre (HWC) - Volunteers needed to help refugee students with their homework at the HWC.
Place: Hamilton Public School
Day: Tuesdays, commencing Tuesday 26th Feb.
Time: 4:00 - 5:30pm
* In-Home Tutors - Volunteers needed to help refugee students with homework in their homes.
Place: Warners Bay, Waratah, Islington, Wallsend, Wickham, Hamilton, Mayfield, New Lambton.
* Women’s Sewing Groups / Children’s Playgroups - Volunteers needed to help refugee women with sewing activities & maintenance of sewing machines. Groups may also extend to other activities such as cooking. Volunteers also needed to assist with supervision of children in playgroup whilst mothers are in sewing group.
Place: “Penola House” (ie. old Hamilton Police Station, on James St, between Chaucer St & Milton St)
Day: Mon (Burundi women) ; Tue/Wed/Thu (Sudanese women)
Time: 10am – 2pm
* Family Assistance – Volunteers needed to provide general assistance to refugee families, eg. weekly shopping & other transport, understanding of correspondence, English conversation practice, parenting/baby issues, etc.
Place: Waratah, Warners Bay, Islington, Mayfield, Jesmond, Charlestown, Wallsend.
* Driving Supervision – Volunteers with full driver’s licence needed to provide driving practice supervision for refugees. They need to log 120 hours of practice to apply for the P licence. Refugees use their own cars, are insured, pay for their own petrol, and have already had several driving school lessons.
Place: Waratah, Hamilton, Jesmond, Mayfield.
* Employment / Work Experience – There are some refugee teens / early 20s who are seeking their first job. If anyone runs a business, or knows someone who runs a business, or is in a position to assist with employment or work experience, please contact either me.
Place: Any suburb.
* “African Lions” Sporting Program – Volunteers needed to transport players to Indoor Football (ie. Soccer) & Basketball training/matches from various suburbs. Also seeking volunteers to help with applying for funding grants, administration, coaching, etc.
Place: “Howzat”, Cooks Hill (Indoor Football) ;
Lambton High School / Broadmeadow Stadium (Basketball).
Northern Settlement Services
8 Chaucer Street, Hamilton, NSW 2303
Office Hours: Mon 9-5, Tue 9-5, Fri 9-1
Phone: 02 4969 3399 Mobile: 0434 426982 Fax: 02 4961 4997